Fiona in Venice

Monday, October 10, 2011

Tool # 4

I created a Google Docs Master Calendar for our campus.  I shared it with every staff member and gave all department chairs and team leaders access to edit it in real time.  This allowed my electives department to add concerts for band, choir, and orchestra, and allowed my coaches to add in all the games for football and volleyball.  Additionally, it allowed all team leaders to post tests to the calendar.  It allows all members to access and find out how many tests are being given on any one day and what upcoming events are scheduled.  I also pull two weeks out and send them in an email format weekly so every staff member can view the next two weeks of activities.  It has been a much easier way to collate all the assorted information between departments and I am no longer keeping track of six different calendars.  I have already started the second semester and people have begun posting events there as well.

I also created a form to be used with my grade level - 6th grade.  I asked for feedback on their top ten academic and top ten behavior concerns.  The form will allow my teachers to directly respond to my two questions and it will easily collate all their answers for me on one form.  I see this as something I will use in the future with my grade level.

As a classroom teacher, I can see using the form as a way to close out or begin a lesson by asking a simple question.  The form collates the answers and I can easily see who understood my lesson and who needs some reteaching or redirecting.  In addition, I could also use it as an open discussion on something they are reading in class where they can see and post comments about what they are reading.  We did something similar to this in a graduate course I took and it was very interesting to read a comment and then post on it.  We kept posting and asking questions and the discussion was very enlightening.  It also allowed us to meet virtually but still have a deep discussion about the readings.  This could be used in a department or grade level meeting to respond to a book study too.

2 comments:

  1. The calendar is really nice, and I appreciate everything you do. I also like the the form you sent us. I created a form to be translated into Spanish to help our struggling learners--I think I sent it to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great use of Google calendar! Glad it worked for you! Some campuses have had trouble with some teachers not being able to see it even though it has been shared. However, once the connection has been made a couple of times, I believe they were able to work it out! Thinking you could also use it for summative conferences - create a calendar using time shots so teachers could sign up for a time that works for both of you!

    ReplyDelete