Fiona in Venice

Sunday, November 6, 2011

Tool # 7

There were many sites to visit and I had so many ideas about creating projects while researching the assorted sites.  I signed up for a Skype account and plan to purchase a web cam in the next few weeks.  My parents Skype weekly with my niece who now lives in Florida.  I cannot wait to start talking to her!  How would I use this in the classroom?  I was fortunate enough to travel to Italy last summer and I was amazed at how different and similar our cultures are in everything from accommodations to transportation to food.  I would design a project that had American students talking to Italian students over Skype.  I think it would be amazing not only to talk to each other overseas, but also to compare and contrast what daily life is like in two completely different countries.  How do you get to school?  How is your school day set up?  What foods are served in your school cafeteria?  What do you have for homework?  What are you studying?  Do you have to wear a uniform?  What do you do with your friends?  What activities are you involved in during and after school?  The questions are endless and it would be fascinating to see how the project develops over time.  I think they could exchange photos and maybe design an interactive bulletin board with similarities and differences in the two cultures.  This project would also work in a German, Spanish, or French foreign language class.  We offer all three at SBMS and I think the presentations would be amazing.  The idea that collaboration can occur over two continents blows my mind, especially when I look back at my own college experience and something called the internet and email had just started.  Now we can talk over a camera and learn so much more than even we ever imagined.  Very cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment